blog change

Hello! This blog used to be called Muslins and Musings, but now we're on a new adventure. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 31 January 2015

Manila Leggings

Hello again! Today I'm sharing the Manila Leggings from the January issue of Seamwork Magazine. The next issue comes out tomorrow (oops), and I meant to post about these a while ago but I was making a Savannah cami to match and suffered defeat at the hands of the spaghetti straps (temporarily). So for now you just get the leggings.


The fabric is the same bamboo/spandex from this shirt. It is nice as a shirt, but it is even nicer as leggings-sooo soft and warm. I made the xs, but added 4" length- making them the length of the 2xl. This is one of the reasons I make my own clothes guys.


The added length makes them a teeny bit tight in the calves, but I think it is okay because it prevents the ankles from sliding around and bunching up, and with the pretty cuffs, that is not what you want. Possibly I'll redo the waistband because I measured right after I had stuffed my face at dinner, so it is a bit loose.
Other than that the fit is fine. The problem is that since leggings are made with negative ease, they are a bit stretched when they are on, and my seams always pull apart slightly when stretched (any pointers?), so along the seams there were weird lines of white stitches showing through. I'm not proud of my solution to this- so perfectionists and traditionalists avert your eyes- I just grabbed a black pen and coloured over those white threads (lets not get into the complication of the rear seam). It doesn't hold up to close inspection, but it is good enough for me, they are so soft I couldn't just give them up.


I wear leggings a whole lot, so I am really happy with this pattern, especially with the interesting cuffs to switch things up a little. I can't wait for the next issue- lingerie!
Hope you all are having a lovely weekend and thanks for reading :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rowan! I would like to include this post in a roundup for Sew Mama Sew, please contact me at kelleyetg@gmail.com for more info. thank you and great work I love these leggings!

    ReplyDelete