blog change

Hello! This blog used to be called Muslins and Musings, but now we're on a new adventure. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 1 August 2015

rtw resolution update

woven hudson pants in the dreamiest of viscoses
As of this week, it has been seven months since I bought RTW clothing. Why did I choose the seven month milestone to write this post? Because I forgot to write it at the big six month milestone as I had originally intended. And I think this says quite a lot about how the resolution is going; that is, it is not a very big part of my life, or not as big as I expected it to be.

By mid-February, I was feeling very optimistic and virtuous at my progress, until I went to the thrift store one afternoon and realized that I had not really been shopping since beginning the resolution. Lesson learned. Now, when I shop online, I just don't look at the clothing sections (unless I'm looking for inspiration), and I likewise avoid the clothing places when I am out shopping. Which is fine and dandy in a small town where essentially everyone is wearing variations of the same thing, but next month, I'm moving to the city (*terrified face emoji*), and that means beautiful clothes and people wearing beautiful clothes. Everywhere. So I'm expecting that to be a little challenging, but I think it will be pretty inspiring as well. 

As I said though, for the most part, this resolution is not having as much of an impact on my life as I expected (I can't decide if that's good or bad). Now and then I feel like I am missing out, but it passes. Occasionally, I do miss the buyer's high, and having something beautiful instantly, rather than spending hours on it. Earlier this summer, I wanted some more loose knit tank-tops, but I can't just go out and buy them, I have to make them. And I still haven't. 

Of course in my case, buyers regret quite frequently follows the buyers high (on a side note, this buying restriction on clothes has made me do much better at not impulsively buying other things. major bonus). I confess, several times I have been shopping (usually at the thrift store) and something catches my eye and after much internal debate, I say "Whatever, I'm gonna get it, it's just one _______." (This is usually closely followed by "And it only costs $____"). But I've never gone through with it. At the last moment I feel like a terrible person for breaking a commitment to myself and I put it back. Never once have I regretted it afterwards. 

Until last week. 

It's still painful, so I'm gonna write this down once and try to never think of it again:

I was at the Salavation Army, virtuously only buying a little gold beaded purse (the logic being that I can pair it with my plain-ish everyday clothes in order to take them from 'small town average' to 'city average'), when the woman in line behind me holding the most beautiful indigo coloured 100% cashmere t-shirt told me that I should buy it, because it would look nice on me and she was just buying it to send to her sister because it was too nice to pass up. 100% cashmere and indigo! I managed to blurt out "I'm not buying clothes for a year!" And hightail it away from the sweet sweet temptation, but then I spent a good minute standing outside my car telling myself I should go back and get it. But I didn't. 10 minutes down the road I was still thinking just maybe she had decided not to buy it after all, and I should turn around and go get it. But I didn't. Even thinking about it now makes my heart hurt a little. It's the worst non-buyers regret I've ever had. 

The point of this resolution was to increase the ration of handmade in my closet, and to not buy things that I could just make. I cannot make 100% cashmere t-shirts in the most beautiful blue-purple colour in existence, and I may likely never be able to. 

Which is why I have decided to amend the resolution, and allow for purchases of sweaters and such that I cannot make. (Note: while it is still–as ever–on the list to knit a sweater, at the rate that I *ahem* enjoy sweaters, it is not financially feasible to knit all of my own sweaters.)

This post came out rather longer and more rambl-y than planned, but that is the state of things. 

2 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about this, and whether doing the same would be the same for me. Like you, it's not buying things new that is the issue, but rather buying them second hand - you find unique things that very often work out being far cheaper than making things yourself. Shopping second hand is also something I really really enjoy (just as much as sewing and knitting!), so I don't know whether I could stop entirely. But it would definitely be interesting to try, if only for half a year or so.

    PS those Hudsons are loooovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there is something very fun and different about buying second hand than new rtw, and it's addicting (I miss it). It would be interesting for sure to try even just for a couple months. It has really helped me redefine when I "need" something, and how much I think I need.
      Let me know if you try! I'd love to hear your take on it :)

      Delete