blog change

Hello! This blog used to be called Muslins and Musings, but now we're on a new adventure. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday 1 May 2015

me made may 2015 (day 1)

So you know how I finished last time saying that I would try and post more and how I all of a sudden had crazy amounts of free time? I had strategically put off applying for jobs until I finished the semester, because I figured it would probably buy me at least two weeks of time off, which was a brilliant, appealing plan if I do say so...but then I got a job the day after I wrote the last post. On my second day of being out of school. On a Sunday. Don't get me wrong, I'm super pleased at my employment, but all of a sudden my summer vacation had gone from 2+ weeks to 3 days. Sigh. The good news is, I love my new job.

And it's May! Which means it's Me Made May! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Back in January I was considering going on a school trip for the month of May, and I was fairly disappointed that I probably wouldn't be able to participate. 

 I, Rowan of Muslins and Musings, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '15. I endeavour to wear one me-made piece each day for the duration of May 2015, and at least one fully me-made outfit per week.

For a school project in 11th grade, I spent a whole month wearing only clothes I had made or refashioned. I'm not really in a position to do that this month (maybe hopefully next year!), but probably the hardest part of that project was blogging every single day. So I am planning just do a round-up post at the end of each week (I don't believe anyone who follows me on Instagram is a sewer, so I figured I'd spare them). 

I think the hardest part this month is going to be the work days. I'm pretty lucky because we're allowed to wear casual/everyday stuff at work. The problem is, I work at a garden center, and while it seems kind of like a building, it's actually a huge greenhouse not much warmer than outdoors. And while my wool layers have become my best friends (just when I thought I could put them away for the summer too), not as many of my me-makes are as great for layering. So it'll be...interesting (not pictured below are the jacket and scarf I also had with me, as well as the 2nd sweater I wish I'd had). And that's for the beginning of the month. When the weather warms up, that greenhouse is going to warm waaaaay up. So who know's what May 31st's outfit will look like.


Annnd here's today's actual outfit. I feel like I maybe should have put it in earlier to break up all that text but it'll do here too.
Today's me-made item is my (unblogged) first Wiksten tank, made I think four years ago now (holy moly) out of a vintage sheet. This tank was the first time I had ever done bias bindings, and after I finished, I was like "Phew, not dealing with that fiddly crap again." But look at me now. I love doing bias bindings.

Two final notes are: 1) the vast majority of my me-mades are tops. You have been notified.
2) Get ready for a month's worth of awkward, poor quality, mirror selfies.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment