blog change

Hello! This blog used to be called Muslins and Musings, but now we're on a new adventure. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 9 May 2015

me made may 2015 (days 2-8)

I spent most of this week having a bit of a lover's spat with my wardrobe; trying to put together outfits that contain makes and are warm enough (I mean, I can layer like a pro at home, but it is not an attractive, suitable for serving the public look). On one particularly bad morning, I told myself "fine, just leave out the me-made aspect, and wear whatever you want". But I still couldn't come up with something, and I realized that I was just tired of needing to wear 4+ layers to work. However, the past 2 days things have warmed up a little, and fingers crossed it stays that way. 
So here are the 3 things I learned this week:
1. While this challenge is important to me, it is not worth spending all day freezing at work.
2. Yarn creations count, as do underwear/bras. Somehow I forgot about this, but hey, if it gets me around #1, I'm game. Still, I am going to try not to do it often, because for me, this challenge is based on clothing, and so it feels a little bit like cheating.
3. A large portion of my makes are unblogged/made pre-blog. So for some of those I'll just add a little more information here, because I don't feel the need to devote an entire post to one t-shirt.

Day 2//unblogged slub knit scout tee (+2 sweaters).


Day 3// also unblogged hemlock tee + crochet cowl (the first photo below being what I'd like to wear, the second being what I needed to wear additionally so I didn't freeze my butt off).



Day 4// Watson bra, so no picture of that, but here's one of me rocking my Dad's sweater vest.


Day 5// Manila leggings (guess who had a day off and didn't need to wear multiple sweaters).


Day 6// a grey knit shirt made with this four-rectangle top tutorial from Cotton and Curls.


Day 7// the first Siksten tee, made out of a vintage sheet. Because this was a wearable muslin, I didn't put too much effort into it– no pattern matching, and used the existing hem of the sheet– which I now regret a little, because I really like this one.


Day 8// Striped hemlock tee + a "self drafted" skirt; in quotations because it is just a rectangle. One side seam and an elastic waist. This is brain science people. I made it in high-school as a maxi-skirt but at that length it was not easy to walk in, and I also am not really sure the maxi silhouette is for me. Then about a month ago I pulled it out and chopped it off and voila, new favourite skirt. Comfy, perfect length (slim risk of flashing, even when I bend over), not very voluminous, and alphabet printed for gosh sakes. I added an extra shot of that because from far away it just looks like mere polka-dots.
And stating the obvious, but this is this week's fully me-made outfit.



Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. It's my goal to actually sew enough this year to take part in MMMay next year, because I am really enjoying seeing how everybody wears their makes! That alphabet print fabric is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same, seeing the constant stream of makes over the past couple of weeks has thrown my sewing inspiration/motivation into overdrive! Good luck with your sewing!
      Also, I was scrolling through your blog a little, and I really love your photography; it's nice light and soft :) –getting good photos is still one of the harder parts of blogging for me.

      Delete