blog change

Hello! This blog used to be called Muslins and Musings, but now we're on a new adventure. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 29 December 2015

little mitts


Happy Holidays my lovies! (we may not've met, but if reading this blog gives you any amount of joy, then I love you)


Here are a little pair of mitts I made to keep my fingers toasty this season. The woodland mitts by Mandarine's was the runner up pattern, but as I am the one whose fingers are always cold, mitts with holes in them just didn't make sense, as lovely as they are, so I went with Tin Can Knits Maize pattern 
instead.

In the interest of frugality, I bought just one skien of Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light in the colourway Moonshadow (I loved this yarn way more after I learned that was it's name). This was an experiment in yarn weights, because the pattern calls for worsted, but mine was on the sport–light-worsted end of things. I cast on the size small, got to the end of the ribbing, and decided to go up a size. So I cast on the medium, knit until just past the thumb hole, and realized it was still too small. This is were things came to a bit of a standstill, because according to the pattern I didn't have enough yarn to knit the size large, but I didn't want to buy a second skein (this was back pre-job, and I was that broke). So I looked at some other patterns, looked at some of the yarn in my stash, and considered scrapping the whole project until my Dad was visiting and gave me $20 "for snacks". Ha. Next possible chance I was at the yarn picking up skien #2, and casting on the size large (I did spend the leftover on snacks).

After that, things went fairly quick. I didn't make any changes to the pattern other than shortening the ribbing a little (too much), and knitting the whole hand in stockinette. I guess all I needed was that margin for error the second skein provided, because as it turned out, I finished both mitts with still a decent sized ball left of the first skein, and I returned the second (to buy more yarn, of course).

Then I gave them a "woolly tattoo", very much inspired by Dottie Angel. Having done next to no embroidery prior to this, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and it took just a little longer than a "Two Towers" viewing to complete (the extended edition, but still). Stuck on a design for the embroidery, I ended up adapting the frame from this logo by Katt Frank.

I got very into knitting this fall, more so than usual. I think I've mentioned before that I don't seem to do much knitting or crochet during the warmer months, so getting some wool in my hands in the early fall always gives me the excitement of a new hobby. However, it has now been several falls since I began my yarn expeditions in ernest, enough so that this October it was like picking up a hobby that I was already good at. I daresay I may be an advanced beginner now, perhaps even dabbling in intermediate!


No comments:

Post a Comment